Friday 14 August 2015

Paper Towns Book Review

Paper Towns 
By John Green 
Review
(can also be found on my Goodreads)


"'Tonight, darling, we are going to right a lot of wrongs. And we are going to wrong some rights.'"

I first read paper towns back in 2014, but to be honest, I can't actually remember much about it. As the film adaptation is soon to be released in the UK, I had to give it a quick re-read to refresh my memory.


My gosh I'm so glad I did


I don't remember it being this so damn good. 


John Green is brilliant. That is something I always conclude after reading his books. His intelligence and knowledge about people and the world is so evident through his language and story development. It can get quite hard-hitting and really makes you think. Even the police man is trying to teach the readers a life lesson.



"'...at some point, you gotta stop looking up at the sky, or one of these days you'll look back down and see that you floated away too.'"
My copy of the book has just so many post-it notes in because of all the brilliant quotes I discovered. 

 Every character has so much depth, and they have moments that are entertaining as well as other moments that were so insightful and thought-provoking, it was a brilliant balance of emotions throughout. 


"Margo always loved mysteries. And in everything that came afterward, I could never stop thinking that maybe she loved mysteries so much that she became one."
I couldn't not include this quote in my review. It sums up the book so well, and the way it's phrased is beautiful.

The protagonists are such strong characters. Margo is a mystery. She's a mystery to the reader as well as to her friends and family. It's one of the reasons she's so brilliant.

"'I'm a big believer in random capitalisation. The rules of capitalisation are so unfair to words in the middle.'"

 My main appeal to her is the way she talks, especially to Quentin. She can be so random and quirky most the time, and then so philosophical and cryptic as well.


"'...All those paper people living in paper houses, burning the future to stay warm.'"

And I love the road-trip element. A good road trip book is always appreciated and this one definitely included some lovely quirky characters that seemed to have a swell old time on the road. 

The relationship between Q, Radar and Ben was brilliant. It was so realistic and believable  how they interacted and bonded mainly through the internet, gaming and high school related dramas such as prom and 'honeybunnys'.



"In our conversation, he used the phrase 'the world's largest collection of black santas' four times, and I laughed each time." 
Its not everyday that you read things like that 

My only fault or disappointment in the book was toward the end. It seemed to build up so much then conclude quite suddenly. Personally, I would have liked to have seen a bit more from the secondary characters because they just kinda disappeared. There does seem to be a lack of a proper conclusion to Q's adventure, I do just want to know more.

I can't wait for the film. I can only imagine that Nat Wolff and Cara Delevingne will do a brilliant job of portraying the wonderful Margo and Q. 


Hopefully a film review will be on it's way soon!

Rating:



No comments:

Post a Comment